Thursday 18 April 2013

94. The nostalgic Kimono


Every year, the annual concerts at school had put us in a tizzy, what with rehearsals, singing classes, measurements with the tailor and endless banter on no particular topic, even though the subdued excitement overflowed into a loud cacophony only to be 'Shushed' by one of the teachers coordinating with the students. 
As had become a habit, I was chosen and expected to take part in every annual concert. I regaled at the very thought of being on stage and feeling like the 'King', while there would be pin-drop silence through my emotive dialogues. Sister Rita (RIP) would catch  hold of some of my friends and me to take us through the gruelling task of 'Propah English pronunciations' before the concerts and what a way she had with words. I can't thank her enough for how I speak today.
I remember in one of the annual concerts titled Cherry Blossom, with Japan as the backdrop, I played the part of Fuji Yama, all dressed in a blue satin kimono, with a yellow satin sash going around my then slim waist and with both my hands tucked into the opposite sleeves as I almost baby-step-limped in wedge-heeled sandals . There was not much dialogue in the script for me as part of the task of narrating the story was done by the singers who sat on the stairs on both sides of the stage. 
Talking of the kimono, it is back in fashion with a bang. There are now kimono dresses galore all doing the rounds on the ramps across the world.
I took a pointer too from the fashion world and came out with a white kimono top with broad sleeves and cut-work and lace all over that I had bought way back on one of my trips to Bangkok. I teamed it with my absurdly shocking pink trousers from Forever New, put on a flat pair of shoes from Catwalk and clipped some flowers to my bed-hair and there I was, ready to pick up Tirus from school and then later spoil ourselves with ice-creams at Baskins & Robbins, only to try and burn out the guilt at the gym in a late evening work-out.



No comments:

Post a Comment