Thursday 4 April 2013

83. Flashes of memories


A loud "Oye! Hi!" and I turn around from my reading to see the most well-dressed-for-the-occasion person walking up to me through the studio door, beaming from ear to ear. Tight curly hair tied neatly into a ponytail at the nape and a colourful bandana to complete the head look. A deep V-necked tee with graffiti up front, a stylised pair of shorts and a pair of slippers one would stop, look down and start a conversation about. The bag that slung across the shoulders had a face of a man embossed in deep brown leather. A lot of tribal jewelry collected in adventurous journeys abroad completed the look of this fashionista, who has been loved, talked about endlessly and has been a friend for almost everyone in the media industry. Not to forget his run down Maruti 800, with war paint all over, which he drove as if he drove a Hummer, shouting at any of his friends he would meet in the traffic.



He is Neelo Chetia, a person passionate to the core about his work and most importantly, life. His smile and sunny countenance would brighten up even the dullest moment of a day. His jokes would have us bursting at the seams and begging him to stop. Never a moment of lull when he starts speaking and the wide-eyed audience in us would be awe-struck as he related his escapades. His laughter would reverberate throughout the whole of the fifth floor of the studio apartment where we went for our work. Neelo Chetia's name itself is synonomous to Life; a life of passion and love. 

Neelo's dresses vary with his moods. Often, he would be dressed in a pair of denim shorts, a perfect tee, a pair of boots and a cowboy hat. On other days, he would do his hair in dread locks, saying slyly with a grin that one of his girlfriends did it for him. And if he prefers, he would leave his locks free and make us envy the quality of his hair. 

Neelo has given us some of the most off-the-cuff documentaries ever. His thoughts differ from the run-of-the-mill thoughts that most of the other producers and directors had while directing a film. His work is poetry. He would weave a story out of nothing, spending sleepless nights working on this one passion he harboured closest to his heart. His documentaries have got rave reviews all across the world in different film festivals and why not. The feverish heights he takes his mind to think about any subject is mind boggling. 

Two years back Neelo was daignosed with cancer. I couldn't believe it. How could a person who loves life so much get so much pain from life itself? Not fair, not fair at all!

I went to see him when he was taking his chemotherapy at the hospital. I walked in gingerly, not knowing what to expect. He was like, "Oye, Hi! Come sit here!" I sat next to his bed and tears streamed down my cheek, uncontrollably. He looked taken aback. "Why are you crying stupid? I am doing great, can't you see that? I will be out in no time and working again." What I saw that day has been imprinted in my mind forever!

I saw a Neelo, happy as happy could be, working on his laptop for his next documentary. I had bought a new car then and he asked me if he could take my car for the shoot,which he would like to start as soon as he was out of the hospital. I told him ofcourse he could. After sitting for an hour, I knew that nothing, take that as nothing in this world could deter this amazing human being from looking at the most beautiful side of life. And I thought I had problems?

After several painful chemotherapies later and trips to Delhi for treatment, Neelo left us, creating a void that can never be filled up by anyone else. I didn't go to see him later 'cause I heard from friends that he was looking different and could no longer speak. I didn't want to see that as I don't want to remember Neelo as 'someone else'. I just want to remember Neelo as the charismatic person who loved life to an unimaginable height, the romantic dude who loved dressing up to a perfect T, who laughed with all his heart and who loved gallavanting across the world. 

Thankyou Neelo. You taught me that life is to be enjoyed to the core; every second is precious, no matter what happens. Hats off to you fashionista! 

(Why I am writing this piece for Neelo after almost two years is the fact that life is not about my problems alone. It is also about people we have loved along the way and who have left us only to come back in flashes of thoughts on particular days!)

No comments:

Post a Comment