Friday 26 April 2013

100. IMPOSSIBLE is NOTHING!



“If I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it, even if I do not have it in the beginning.” Mahatma Gandhi.

Two years back, in January of 2011, I was depressed beyond a point of no return. I moped around the house, feeling sad and pathetic about myself and wishing that the end of the world came soon. Ofcourse that was not to happen and the world spun faster in a speed I had never seen it spinning in a long time. And I was the only person, or so it looked like, who was way out of league and not a part of the vortex.

I stopped feeling pathetic about myself and so in April of 2011 I hit the streets with a passion and force beyond my imagination. Every morning, after my prayers, I would get into my tracks and joggers and run for my life. The first time I walked, it was like carrying an indecipherable load all along. I puffed and panted and ranted, all at the same time. The first 1 km seemed endless and the journey home was killing. My endless hunger pangs would catch up with me as I trudged the last few steps home. Oh God, I wished with all my heart that one fine morning I would wake up and voila! I would be transformed into this mesmerizing lithe damsel wearing a pink taffeta gown and my co-actor, would pick me up in one arm and do his ‘Akshay Kumar’ or ‘Jackie Chan’ stunts with me. Wishful thinking!

Anyway, the gown thing got me going. I plugged onto a beat that got me into a heat to run a few kilometres first and then slowly I went onto complete 7kms. It was quite a feat. And then there were the unknown friendly faces on the streets who encouraged me to carry on, waving at me or showing me the thumbs up sign as they sped past me in their cars. And carry on I did. I did a full year of jogging; sweating, tired, hungry, 'migrained' but not defeated. I created my own diet chart and followed it to a T. And this whole venture made me lighter by 14 kilos. I was happy. I was soon fitting into clothes I thought I will never be able to get my fingers into and would have to give them away to slimmer cousins.

Two years of a strict exercise regimen, a conscious diet and lots of cooperation from the family later, I was happy as happy could be. My friends, associates and colleagues appreciated the difference. I was tired in the beginning but now I have the energy to work-out for two hours at a stretch. Though I am still not ready for an Akshay Kumar or Jackie Chan types to carry me and spin me in the air, yet I still think I am not too far away to fit into that exotic red gown, which I see myself dressed up in and standing there coaxing me to run up the hill.

I tell my friends and cousins who want my advice that it is all in the mind. Become the master of your mind and you can do anything by directing it to do so!














No comments:

Post a Comment