Saturday 13 April 2013

90. Trendification of the Karbi ensemble

The Northeast of India just gets better each day and for people like me, I would rather breathe here everyday than anywhere else in the world, 'cause this is Paradise. 



The weaves are profoundly magical, no matter which of the eight states they may be from. The colours are exotic and blend with the even more strickingly magnetic colours of nature, which are resplendent all around. The weavers, artists par excellence, conjures mesmerizing designs with colourful threads with their nimble fingers. 

These weavers splash wild colours of their dreams onto their canvases, captivating everyone in their stead. My salutations to these angels who toil tirelessly and spend hours on end to give us an unearthly piece of art for us to keep and cherish.


Today, before leaving for an important meeting and to celebrate the season of love, on the 13th of April, a run-up to the Rongali Bihu festivities (the spring time festival of the Assamese people), I decided to wear something different for an important meeting. I tied two colourful belts around a Karbi (an indigenous community of Assam) hand-woven mekhela (a wrap-around skirt), teamed it with a red spaghetti and a black shrug. I thought the bunch of Nyishi (One of the several tribes of Arunachal Pradesh) beads looked pretty trendy, with the traditional Indian pair of sandals I wore. In short, I trendified the Karbi ensemble, which is otherwise worn differently! I loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment