Thursday 11 April 2013

88.Change is good!

The old order changeth, yielding place to new, And God fulfils himself in many ways, Lest one good custom should corrupt the world.”  Alfred Lord Tennyson, “Morte d’Arthur.



One of my friends used to always tell me, “Change is the only thing which is constant.” An old adage oft repeated when it necessitates us.

My cousin and I used to be the best of buddies; eating out, shopping, watching movies together, gossiping and what not. In short, we spent most of our day together in spite of the fact that she also had to go to work. But out of the blue, she says she has changed. Changed for what or whom and why?  She no longer calls me in the previous frequency of three calls a day. I am thoroughly confused. Can people change at a rate faster than light can travel or the mind?

Yes, changed I have too, over the years. But the change has been for me; me alone and not for anyone else. The competition has never been with anyone else but me. I have competed with my old self to make a brand new me every morning.

A decade back, I would not have been the same person that I am right now. I have grown, mellowed, become more tolerant and what not. But the passion and love that I remember I had as a little girl has stayed with me ever since. Rather, I have become far more passionate and loving than before. And I still love the people I have loved along the way. Personally, I feel excellent about it!

Why should we change for the people who love us? Can we not keep that one thing constant; to love? Yes, change is good but I feel that we should change only ourselves to become even more loving than before. The change should be within ourselves, since we know we can never change anyone or anything. Then the famous quote, “Change is the only thing which is constant” will still hold water. At least love should be constant and consistent.



(I tried on a western ensemble with Indian jewelry and sandals for the Northeast Writers' Forum Meeting in the evening. I loved this change I tried!)

No comments:

Post a Comment