Tuesday 7 May 2013

108Proud to be Assamese!


Ask not what your country can do for you but ask what you can do for your country.” J F Kennedy in his inaugural address of January, 1961.

These lines have remained seeded in my head since I was a little girl and when I feverishly composed poems for my country, I was branded by my friends and family as the new age Kanaklata. Ok, so I am. Just ‘cause I am not fighting the enemy with a firebrand or sword in my hand, it doesn’t even come close to mean that I am not patriotic.
When I say Assam is mine, I love it like a lover would to a point of madness; inhaling its musky smell, kissing its air and sensuously touching it. I have always seen it as an ethereal being, my God, a supreme power which has mesmerized me with its enchanting beauty; and I am privileged to be a part of its dreams and aspirations! And I love to take a piece of my Assam wherever I go!








(May 6th was quite a day when I had the opportunity to interact with Ministers and Speakers from all the eight Northeastern States of India at the 14th Annual Conference of the NERCPA, that is, The Northeast Regional Commonwealth People's Association and the day-long topic of discussion was Combating Corruption. Quite a task at hand!)


TO MY COUNTRY (A poem from my book 10:20)
The purple sunset
Cloaked, in her dark stead;
Then wolves –
Are they not but, the
Follies of men?
To bring hyenas and
Bats!.......Racing
Towards the mortal?
Who is he (here)
That laughs – without
A tear in the eye
“I” she whispers –
But she’s mottled – the
Jarring sound of chains
Blotting the song on her lips
She’s now banished
From her loved one – but
She was the one – for
Whom, the war was fought!
T’was a bloody battle
Ages old,
Reminiscence of heroes
In tombs?
Why? We are
But gullible
Flocking the street
Mocking the democrat
Wounding –
The dead, the sick,
Why?
Are we thus so weak?....
Unable to pluck
The thorns from her feet
A shrouded figure
Now creeps
With bloodshot eyes….
Spreading the plague
Thrashing the old
And bleeding the young;
In disguise?
A mother weeps
In the hearth
Consoling her child
Just born.

No comments:

Post a Comment