Tuesday 25 June 2013

132. Riotous ! 


Mom used to reprimand me for laughing all the time, saying young girls are supposed to be lady-like and not laugh out too loud, lest people start thinking otherwise. Well, I haven't been able to control myself much (Sorry mother!) and in school and college, the day I have tried, I returned home invariably with a splitting headache. When I would tell Mom it's because I controlled myself from laughing, she would give me a disbelieving look, mumble and grumble and stomp off to the kitchen. 
23rd of June, sunday evening  however was a riot with Abish Mathews, the stand-up comedian from Mumbai performing to a not-so-packed-hall at Terra Mayaa with his snide, subtle, gentle and sometimes head-on take on sex; a subject not many could possibly think of laughing at. I wonder what Mom would say if she saw me almost gasping for breath, holding my sides, while tears streamed down both my cheeks incontrollably. I loved what was happening to me 'cause when I am laughing, I am totally unaware of anything else in the world. 
Abish Mathews did an excellent job at making us laugh throughout his one and a half hours 'Son of Abish' Show, though he would have been happier had it been a full-house! Anyway, Guwahati is yet to open up to 'serious laughter'; it's time however it did 'cause when we compare ourselves to the rest of the world, we look and take life too seriously, managing a tight upper lip and behaving as if laughter is an infallible sin! 




No comments:

Post a Comment