Wednesday 12 September 2012


4. THE PUNK AND THE DESI


So, like I said, I grew up on the brand Mom created for me...Mom’s brand. She stitched almost every piece I wore to college.


One of my favourites was a long sleeved leaf-green checked salwar kameez with red pipings on the fringe of the sleeves, with three buttons in front and a red piping going around the bodice. The fit was amazing. During college, I used to love khadi and this love continued well after I was out of college and working. I had quite a few kurtas in monochrome, with the exquisite tie-n-dye dupatta to go with them. Mom used to stitch quite a few white salwars to team with any kurta and oh my, did I love them!


On any college day, I would love to put together a white salwar, a plain khadi kurta; maybe in blue, orange, purple or red and a tie-n-dye “chunni” with beaded “jhalars” . Kholapurs, jootis or just plain strappy sandals picked off from the streets were an all time favourite not only with me but with the rest of my friends as well. A coloured “bindi”, kohled eyes and a dash of gloss would complete the look and worked wonders. Ofcourse, not to forget the coloured bangles and “jhumkas”,  I often picked up from a trip to the frequently organised Trade Fairs in the city.


When I started working, Mom stitched me this khadi salwar-kameez in orange monochrome and a white dupatta with orange khadi cut-work on the edges. I loved this ensemble and wore it with brown jootis trimmed with silver bells. Most comfortable clothing ever!


But in between, during my Pre-university days in Shillong, I started wearing clothes stylised by me. Like I had this plain white shirt someone gave me. It looked too ordinary to me.  So I hand-painted graffiti on it and wore it over my stone-washed jeans. I had another black pair of jeans, which I wore with a pair of black mocassins and a black shirt!


A phase in Pre-University, when I turned ‘rebel without a cause’, I decided to shave my head, only to be reprimanded by Mom and a friend. So i decided to give myself a shave, almost close to balding it and kept a thin bunch of hair hanging from the nape, so that I could plait it. And ofcourse the safety-pin earrings. I looked every bit the freak and a punk! But I loved it. Mom as usual complained!


I had this denim jacket which I loved, more so cause Dad gave it to me. After I had worn it for a year, I decided to redesign it. So I got around 500 safety pins of varying sizes and pinned them, part in front and part in the back. It was really very interesting to see the transformation. I almost looked like a rock-star! My blue faded jeans, a white tee-shirt and my bejewelled denim jacket! Oh, how I wished I was on stage at the drums!


In Shillong, the ambience itself lent enough scope to build my own style. However, Guwahati somehow changed the way I thought about clothes. It sobred me down, almost threatening me to maintain a more quieter and less rebellious form of style. Okay, I said! So be it! But I can adjust to almost any change! And so I did! I loved the way the clothes started choosing me more than the other way around! And Mom as usual played my stylist!

No comments:

Post a Comment