Wednesday 5 September 2012

1. How it all started!

I was raised by a fashion 'enthusiast'. My mother came up with beautiful dresses at the turn of her SINGER manual sewing machine, which had a wooden handle and is now more than 100 years old. As I grew more and more interested in her creations, I made it a point to sit next to her on the bed, while I turned the handle of the machine. Often, she would get angry as my mind was wont to wander and I would either turn the handle too fast or too slow. Her scream always invariably broke my reverie. But all said and done, I loved what she was capable of doing with just a piece of cloth and she knew exactly the sort of dresses I loved and looked good in!
There was this particular frock she stitched that was one of my favourites. A white pinnafore with red honey-comb on the bodice, with red strawberries embroidered in between. The pocket was a red appliqued strawberry with two green leaves.
Then, in Class IV, Mom stitched me a beautiful maxi. It had a black waist-coat styled bodice while the frock and sleeves were a black base with white polka dots. The bodice had a tie-up lace to give it a good fit. Amazing! I loved it so much. I wore it long after it became uncomfortably tight for me.
And this trend of Mom stitching pretty dresses stayed even after I went to Pre-University. In college, she stitched me a black pencil skirt, which I wore with a variety of shirts, especially a two-pocket white shirt.
Once, for the annual concert at school, I needed a yellow satin and net dress. Mom sat till around 2 in the morning to get the pieces together. And lo and behold, the first thing I see in the morning after waking up is this dress with satin and lace on a hanger. Thank you Mom for creating the fashionista I am today! I loved each and every piece you stitched for me. Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment