Sunday 7 October 2012


10. SWADESHI AGAIN


.....and here I am, again talking about sarees and mekhela-sadors and how exotic they look on almost anyone who knows how to drape one around them. Anyone, who knows the magic of a saree, will say it is the (dee) most exotic piece of clothing compared to any other wear across the world.
 
 
And the adventure with the saree is simply exciting and endless. The best thing we can do with it is look our graceful best in one of them and at the same time play with the endless colour prospects.

I love the colours in a Maharastrian saree. Bright colours of red, green and what have you, with jari work, which automatically makes me nothing but happy, happy!!

The sarees from Kerala are over the top exotic. The slightly off-whitish body, with a gorgeous gold border and an equally gorgeous pallu, makes it an ensemble to be worn any time of the day! And if you ask me about comfort; it’s one of the best for summer-autumn wear!
 
My recent favourite is a saree I picked up from one of the trade fairs in the city. It’s a weave in gheesa silk; the thread of which is spun out of the ‘left-overs’ of edi. In fact, wherever I wear it, people just stop to ask me about the material. In a recent conference in Shillong, even the men present for the meeting asked my permission to feel the material of the saree.
 
Mekhela-sadors though will always remain my favourite. I picked up one from a trade-fair in NEDFI Haat. It was done up in two different coloured borders on both sides; one tomato red and the other blue. It had the feel of a tati saree from Bengal. One look and I was in love with it. The comfort is beyond imagination as it is woven in pure cotton.
Oh and my Mom’s sarees! She obviously has some awesome collection. She had given me one of her sarees in a cream base, with silver leheriya all over the body. I thought I could never carry it. But after this super exciting blouse my designer got me, I decided to try it out for a house-warming party. I teamed it up with silver peep-toes and minimal accessories. Ofcourse, I put on aviators to give the ensemble some chutzpah. And hey presto, I felt like a Queen.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment