Tuesday 9 April 2013

86. Love and Hate



“Love is the ability and willingness to allow those that you care for to be what they choose for themselves, without any insistence that they satisfy you”. Wayne Dyer.

Tirus, my 6 year old sonny boy tells me every day that he loves me like the expanding Universe. Now, that is something new, I thought, when he first started telling me how much he loves me. Love like the expanding Universe; which means he can never ever love me less but can only love me more and more each passing day! Wow! This is something I learnt and kept close to my heart.  

Tirus’ lessons in love have made me a somewhat more passionate person than I could possibly remember over the years. My love, my passion has made me a more giving person in the process. Loving and giving go hand in hand. Mom used to tell me, “When you give, give with hands spread out.” I remembered hence. Giving has got me back a lot of love; love in all forms of the word and I have cherished every magic moment of this God-gifted incense.

So, when I met this really young person I was counselling in the early evening of 9th April, who was bereft of love from a very young age from his parents and friends, it left me wondering in despair about what he would do and how would he behave now that he no longer believed in the magic of love.

Not believing in love? Something that I will never be able to fathom. How can someone not believe in the one thing that we so desperately want with all our life; love? Love makes the world go round, I tell people. Love heals, cures and creates. Love assures. Love is faith. Love is God. It is that one ingredient without which life loses it taste, its aroma, its appetite. Love nurtures. Love brings forth happiness. Love is sunshine. It is everything. If people were to be asked, “What is that one precious thing that you desire for most in your life.” And we can be assured that 80% of the people would answer, “I want love,” instead of saying, “I want gold, silver or platinum.”

So when this soigné gentleman tells me that love is a waste of time and that he would rather spend his energy earning money for himself, I felt my one hour of counselling has gone utterly wasted. I could feel so much hate inside him; for his mother, his friends and his girldfriend, who he loved and trusted the most. He felt cheated by life. Now, he wants enough power and money to start a happy family, something he says he is very passionate about. "I want to start my married life with a woman who I want to treat like a princess and give my child the best childhood ever; something I never got as a kid." I remain perplexed, only to wish with all my heart that God pours some of His love into this fine strapping young man to see the light at the end of the tunnel!

(But I know that it will take time for him to break free from the shackles of hurt and deceit that he had to go through when he professed his love for someone with all his heart! The least I can do at this point is pray! ‘Cause a couple of years ago, when I went down to the river and asked myself the meaning of my birth, the answer which reverberated across the vast expanse of water was, “You have been born to give, to love and to care for the sea of people across the world. You will be a giver; giver in all forms. Your life is not yours. It is for the teeming billions who need you.” Amen!)  

******************************************************






No comments:

Post a Comment